Felt Your Dream! Prefelt Rug Workshop with Nomadic Design
Flóra Carlile-Kovács, Instructor
Date: Tuesday, May 30th – Friday, June 2nd, 2023 (9am-4pm)
In Kyrgyzstan, when a daughter got married, her mother and her relatives felted her a rug. Using their ancient symbols they felted her best wishes and good luck into the rug that stayed with her for the rest of her life. In this workshop, you’ll create a felted rug (approximately 3’x5’) with the instructor’s pre-felt technique, using either the several-hundred-year-old symbols or creating your very own.Come and join us for a four-day workshop and learn:
- about the traditional symbols of the rugs
- about various kinds of wool that fits
- how to plan a powerful design
- how to make your own prefelt with color transitions
- how to construct and felt a large rug
- how to turn the soft prefelt into a strong and durable felt
- some small tricks of the trade that make the felting process easier and get rewarded with a beautiful felted rug you complete by the end of the class!
Creating a wet felted rug requires being in good physical condition.
$95 Materials fee covers the purchase of 58 oz (3.5 lbs) of wool for the rug with finished size of 36″x50″ and includes:
- 16 oz of dyed wool batts, 27 microns (a mix of New Zealand, Bergschaf, Maori and South-German wool)
- 42 oz wool batts excellent for felting, 27-34 microns in natural colors of choice (Karakul- silver, Mongolian- dark brown, Gotland- white, Gotland lamb- light grey, Valais Black Nose- white)
The right size of bubble wrap (4×7′) may be purchased from the instructor for $25 1 month in advance.