Joyce Hicks, Instructor
Dates July 16-20, 2018 (9am – 4pm)
Materials Fee: $0
CREATE BEAUTIFUL WATERCOLOR LANDSCAPES FROM EASY-TO-PAINT SHAPES
In this workshop Joyce will teach you how to create a unique visual language from common symbols found in the landscape! You will paint a collection of easy elements like a variety of fence types, country roads and paths, tree forms, clouds, windows, grasses, barn doors, wildflowers and more! Then you will use your new symbols to create paintings from your imagination! Emphasis will be on concepts, techniques and strategies for turning ordinary scenes into extraordinary ones with watercolor. Joyce teaches simple easy-to-learn methods that appeal to beginners as well as seasoned artists looking for renewed inspiration. You will learn from clear explanations her reasoning behind artistic decisions and visually from daily step-by-step demonstrations. She will show you how easy it is to deconstruct complicated subjects making them easier to paint and her simple steps for turning boring landscape scenes into exciting works of art. Afternoons are devoted to one-on-one time with students. She brings her passion and love for teaching to inspire and motivate in a fun, fast-paced workshop.
Following are a few of the topics covered in her workshops.
- how to create landscape symbols from easy-to-paint shapes
- how to simplify and streamline scenes
- how to avoid information overload in your paintings
- lean important principles for strong compositions
- how to use symbols to create landscape scenes from your imagination
- how to create a journal of symbols to paint by
- planning strategies that will allow you to paint spontaneously and with confidence
- daily lectures and demonstrations
- one-on-one instruction for all participants as group size allows
- something for every level